The 50 quarter dollars (in red, the ones I own)
I have chosen to show
you my American quarter dollar collection. I started it this summer so it's still
quite a small one!
The 50 State Quarters
Program was the release of a series of commemorative coins that feature
unique designs for each of the 50 states on the reverse (back) face of the
quarter coin, from 1999 through 2008. This program was to encourage a new
generation of coin collectors. And it became the most successful numismatic (that
means the collection or study of currency) program in history. In fact, half of
the US population collected the coins! The U.S. Federal Government actually made
profit from the collectors taking the coins out of circulation.
The quarters were
realized by the US State Mint (the producer of coins in the United States)
every five or ten weeks over a year, in the same order that the States signed
the Constitution.
Each quarter
commemorates one of the 50 states with a design representing the history,
traditions, and symbols of each state.
I have six of them
right now: Massachusetts, Iowa, Texas, New York, Georgia and Missouri.
To take an example: on
the Georgia coin, there is at the top of it the name of the state in capital
letters and right below there is the statehood date. In the middle, there is
the shape of the state, a peach, and oak sprigs because it is the state tree. And
there is a banner with the state motto: "Wisdom, Justice, Moderation".
So, each element of the design symbolizes an aspect of the state by
representing the symbols of its history and traditions. At the bottom, there is
the motto of the United States ("Out of many, one") and the date of the coin’s issue. It's exactly the same design for the other ones.
I found a website
where you can buy the quarter dollars, each costs about $3.49: http://www.dollardealwholesale.com/State-Quarter-1999-2008-P-Philadelphia-Brilliant-Uncirculated-Choose-Your-Quarter-_p_160.html



No comments:
Post a Comment